Sunday, March 13, 2011

Appreciation

As many of you know, when I came home from college last year, in an attempt to stave off boredom and re-trim/tone my trim and toneless figure, I decided to start taking classes again at the ballet studio I'd been going to since I was four. It was slightly strange since most of the girls in the class hadn't even been born by the time I was entering the second grade.

Any how, every spring my studio does this thing called the Performance Awards, which is basically a "series of distinctive choreographic compositions over 12 levels, that students perform before an audience of parents and friends." I did Levels 7-12 before I graduated and went off to college. Now, I've come full circle. Since the end of January I've been coaching the two girls who are doing Level 12, teaching them the variations, pointing out their mistakes, offering moral support, and generally helping them conquer the enormous battle that is Level 12.

On Thursday night I went to their final rehearsal to offer a small amount of critique, a medium amount of tips, and a huge helping of compliments.

I received something even better. Appreciation. It's such a nice feeling to know that you made a difference and contributed to someone's life and it's equally awesome to know that those people appreciated it. 

I've never felt quite so touched as I did on Thursday evening when the girls and my teachers presented me with a present and thank you card for the help I had given them these past few months. I will never forget that evening.

You can't tell from this picture, but the scarf is a beautiful cornflower blue color that I'm told goes beautifully with my eyes

No comments: