Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Adventures in the Land of the Presidents

Over the weekend "my super cool roommate" (as she is listed in my phone) and I drove to DC to visit her boyfriend. By that I mean, we came to chill with each other, while also visiting her bf who conveniently lives 3 hours north of me and 3 hours south of her.

A high point of the trip (for me)
occurred on my drive up when I passed a car with a large gutted deer attached to the back of it. Being the creeper I am, I immediately slowed down and waited for the car to pass me so that I could immortalize it in film... notice the deer's tongue sticking out

Because Jenny's an uber health and medicine junkie (I mean that in the nicest way possible...) we went to the National Museum of Health and Medicine which is in a part of the Walter Reed Military Hospital complex. That in itself was pretty cool because we had to get our picture taken when we entered the museum and then give it back when we left or else the feds would have come after us! A highlight of the museum... seeing good ol' Abe's blood on some dude's sleeve and the envelope the sleeve was sent in. Also reading about how they basically removed his entire brain in an attempt to find the bullet was pretty cool.

Since there isn't much else to do in the WRMH area we took the metro into the city and headed down to the International Spy Museum. That place was pretty cool, although it kinda makes you paranoid after you've been through it to know about all the various inconspicuous objects that you can hide a gun, or a video camera, or a tape recorder.... A highlight of the museum... I always knew they used pigeons for letter and message carrying, but did you know that they also worked as super secret picture takers? Yup! They sure did. In WWII they strapped cameras onto the chests of pigeons and sent them off to do the work that stealth planes do today!

A dinner of Mongolian BBQ followed our acquisition of new identities a the spy museum (I was Maria Falcone?). It was something I'd never had before and I must say it was a pretty neat and delicious experience.

We finished off the evening by walking from the Smithsonian down to the Lincoln memorial via the Washington and WWII. It was beautiful!

Together again :)

Sooo amazing!

They just wouldn't stop being adorable...

Pretty arches in the WWII Memorial

Walking in the (empty) Reflecting Pool


We're cool...

Well hey there Abe! We saw your blood earlier!

No comments: