Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Where Have all the Turkeys Gone?

Dear America,

Over a week ago you decided to start celebrating Christmas. Today is November 10, am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

It's disconcerting to go into Target on a quest for fun Halloween things to send to my friends and hear Christmas music in the background while I'm searching through isles of stuffed monsters, funky socks, and Halloween candy. When did we decide that it would be ok to start putting up the Christmas displays before October 31? Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas just as much as the next guy... it just makes me wonder, what happened to Thanksgiving?

Now that it's November, I guess most other stores are going to start trying to force us all to feel like its that Christmasy time of year about a month early...

Over the weekend I went to Kohl's with my mom and I was appalled to hear Christmas music sprinkled in with the normal music. A little later we stopped into Michaels to get some yarn and the same thing happened. Since then, I've had similar experiences in other stores. Then I go to ballet on Monday and guess what I am forced to deal with? Christmas Music! Apparently from now until the end of term we will be doing "Christmas Barre" every day.... great. Is everyone going crazy? I mean seriously, won't we get sick of Christmas if we start celebrating it a month early? The world only has so much Christmas Cheer.

Don't you remember when, back in the day, we waited with baited breath for midnight on November 30th for the Christmas music to start playing 24/7 on the radio stations? That was back when Santa heralded in the Christmas season by ending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Now, Christmas music is polluting our radio stations before Thanksgiving, Christmas displays are polluting our stores before Halloween, and ABC Family has a countdown to the 25 Days of Christmas. This is crazy! Who wants to watch Christmas movies on November 10? Well, you can watch Snow and Snow 2 if you tune into channel 311 at 8pm.

As for me... I think I'll leave November to the turkeys and save Christmas for December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! You go girl! Let's put the goblins back in October, the turkeys back in November, and leave the holly and mistletoe for December!