Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's Football Night in America!

It's week 8 of regular season football and as we (my family) sit here watching the Giants/Eagles football game and my mom dives deeper and deeper into depression as the seconds slowly tick by and the Giants continue to be dominated by the Eagles, I can't help but think... what drives our unabashed loyalty to one team over another?

People go crazy over their sports teams and personally I think that football brings out the most devoted sports fan in a person. I have friends who would sacrifice their brand new puppy if it would help the Eagles win. In her excitement, my mom knocked over, and consequently broke, a lamp when the Giants won the super bowl. I know people who believe that the stock market is influenced by whether one team wins over another.

So, why do we like the teams we like? Well, most people have one team that they just can't live without... for my mom that would be the Giants, for a bunch of my friends at school that would be the Eagles, for my cousins, the Patriots. I guess a lot of it has to do with where you're from. Being from near Philly, most of my school friends are expected to support a Philadelphia team. The same goes for my cousins, in New England you pretty much have to like the Pats or you will be lynched... or worse. My mom grew up in Jersey, thus her deep bouts of depression when the Giants lose...

Of course, there are also those teams that you just have to hate, loath, and despise out of loyalty to the team that you like. A prime example is the Eagles/Steelers feud. A true fan of either of these teams will hate the other. It's the classic cross-state rivalry. Consequently a "Pennsylvania Super Bowl" would be awesome.

So once we get over that initial can't live without 'em team, how do we decide who else to root for?

Well at least for me, it's completely arbitrary, sort of...

The Good Guys...
The Eagles - With PA home to both family and my college, how can I not like those green and white clad guys? I personally think that most philly fans take McNabb completely for granted but that's just me

The Giants - I know, they are in the same division or whatever so they compete for standings but I like 'em because I like my mom.

The Bengals - These guys are easy to root for... they woulda made it to the super bowl about 3 years ago, except that some guy on the Steelers broke Palmer's knee... bummer. Now they are back and rocking a pretty good record. Plus, they are my bro's team

I also like the Cowboys, Steelers, Broncos, and Colts because either I have ties to their respective cities or because I have friends who do.

The Badies...
The Rams/Cardinals - Hands down. Now I don't really hate the teams, but I hate them for their association with their quarterback, Kurt Warner. I've hated him ever since that one time when the Rams beat the Titans in the super bowl by tackling that guy right before he made it to the end zone. I was so mad that the Titans had lost and that stupid Kurt Warner's team had won, especially with all that Cinderella talk. I've never forgiven him for that.

The Dolphins/Redskins/Cowboys - I associate these teams with those starter jackets that were super popular back in the early 90s. As a result, I don't really like these teams very much, although I've gotten over this to some respect with the Cowboys. I don't know why those jackets bothered me so much but they really did. Maybe it was because our old cleaning lady wore one and I didn't like her. But, whatever the reason, these teams had the misfortune to be popular when I was in elementary school, soo there you have it.

The Patriots - They are overrated and I don't like Tom Brady. I'm glad the Giants ruined their perfect season. Sorry to the masses of fans that they have.

Isn't football fun?

No comments: